Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Stumble, A Win and an Epiphany

THE STUMBLE
So, after I blogged last night I tried going to sleep and even though I was tired I couldn't fall asleep. I kept tossing and turning. To add insult to injury I was getting hungry since it had been so long since I'd last eaten and I was still awake. And then came the war in my head. You know that war where one side of your conscious says, "yes, just do it" and the other side says, "no, don't do it". That war in my head went on for a while and I have to admit that I caved. I totally forgot my plan of attack. I really frustrate myself sometimes. I won't go into all the gory details, but I will say that it involved pie crust dough and whipped cream. I finally did get to sleep and slept well. But I woke feeling really crappy about myself. But then came...

THE WIN
Wednesdays are my weigh in days. After a horrible night last night I really did not want to weigh in, but I'm in this for the long haul and I want to make permanent life long changes. So I sucked it up and got on the scale and guess what!?!? I lost 3 lbs last week. Can you believe it? After all the mess ups over the last week, I still had positive results. YEAH!!! I was on cloud nine. I hit the ground running and decided, it's a new day with a new beginning. I had a great day. I ate healthy food and proportionate meals. I exercised and did strength training as well and I accomplished a few tasks on my "To Do" list that never seems to go away, which is where my epiphany comes in. (Oh, and I'm not going to say exactly what I weigh just yet. Still not ready for that kind of humiliation.)

THE EPIPHANY
I have this never ending "To Do" list that has started to weigh me down. No pun intended. But I really want to take advantage of this time of unemployment and focus on getting my health in order and making life changes and new healthy habits. I need to make that a priority or I'll never accomplish it. And then I realized that whenever I'm outside doing yard work, which is the majority of things on my "To Do" list, I work up quite a sweat and get my heart rate going pretty good. This could be my exercise. I still need to supplement it with swimming and bicycling for example. So that's what I did today. I worked a total of 3 hours outside in the backyard today. There is still so much more that needs to be done, but I was able to cross a few off the list today and count it as exercise. All in all, a pretty good day.

8 comments:

mmmmmmmmmmommy said...

YAH for the Win and the Epiphany!!

Take a look at Annie Baker Romero's last blog entry. Try making a ta-da list, even if you don't get rid of your to-do list. I'll bet it will bring you even more positive kudos. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I LOVE YOU and you are Beautiful!!

mmmmmmmmmmommy said...

Question for the author - Just how homest do you want us to be in our comments?

Adam and Debbie said...

Ok, I guess Annie stole my idea. She saw the same show I did. I don't actually make a list, but I try to recap all my accomplishments during the day as my ta-da rather than dwelling on what I didn't do. And you tell those evil food voices in your head to go away! :) You could sing a primary song! Ha ha, just kidding. That's what they say to do with bad thoughts, maybe it would work. Good luck to you!

Janet Lee said...

Mmmmmmmommy... well, if I'm being 100% honest, I hope everyone else will be with me as well. I could be opening up a can of worms with that one, but oh well. Lay it on me.

Nataluscious said...

OK, read all the latest blog entries (I also left a comment on your first entry about your weight loss). Anyhow, I have found your struggle to be very enlightening and interesting, and again I am so very very impressed with your relentless honesty. That takes such bravery - especially when you are going THROUGH it, and not looking back on it. One thought I had for you and those late night desperate food cravings - have you thought about the light popcorn? I think they are like 100 calories a bag (smart pop) and can be pretty filling. So just a thought - if you think it would help. I love you, I think you are truly beautiful - both inside and out - and stand up and applaud your quest to get healthy!!

chenoa said...

So, so impressed with all you are doing Janet. Keep blogging. It's really inspirational (I feel kind of funny saying that--but it really is--I could see your blog catching on).

Annie said...

Janet! It is late after a crazy evening and all I really want to do is go to bed. But what am I doing? One of my bad habits...wasting time online instead. I am so glad though...I haven't looked at your blod for a bit, and I have missed so much!

Hooray and all best to you in your weight loss goals! I have been so impressed by the things you have already said and "learned". Know that you have yet another cheerleader in your court.

I feel your pain, and yet your determination coming through the words you share. While my individual story is not exactly the same, you speak so openly of weaknesses I see in myself and others - thin and overweight alike.

As a dietitian I work giving weight loss counseling and teaching weight loss classes regularly, and yet I myself struggle with this topic, as I truly belive 90% of Americans do. Our society makes it too easy to make poor choices and so difficult to make good ones. I know you mentioned that you did not want any advice, but I wanted to point out that I can see through the things you have written that you have already come to the conclusion of many of the things I believe are deep down essentials to success with weigh loss.

1) It is NOT easy. It is a frustrating and overwhelming process. You have to look at small term goals and successes. You have to have a positive attitude.

2) YOU have to DECIDE that this is what you are going to do

3)Journaling is a BIG help

4)Clients always come to me hoping I have some magic answer,something they dont already know that will help them. Professionally I cant give them advice on the topic I believe helps the most. Even others where I can say somthing I dont always mention it, because of different beliefs or they are not ready to hear it, etc. Weight loss involves combating weakness of the body, the natural man. How does one overcome the natural man? By increasing spirituality and relying on God. Prayer and seeking the spirit I believe are the BIGGEST keys of success. Read Ether 12 - God CAN help us turn weaknesses into strengths. Know that you already have the magic answer or secret ingredient that so many are desperately searching for.

Best of luck in all your efforts. Do not give up! If you have a bad day, get up and try again. You can do it! I believe in you! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, etc. It may take me a bit to respond, but I always will.

Love you,

Annie

mmmmmmmmmmommy said...

I hope you are not giving up after one weekend with the famiLee?