Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Truly Humbling Experience

How many people do you know that will take time off work, go to a foreign country, pay to build a house and then sweat from every pore to build that house without the use of modern tools? If you said ZERO, well you can now say ONE. Me. I don´t say this with an arogant heart, but a "Wow, this is a really cool thing I´ve chosen to do" heart. I didn´t really think about it much before I came. I was just thinking how cool it would be to go to Honduras and "Oh by the way, I"ll build a house for Habitat for Humanity while I´m at it." I can´t begin to describe what it´s like. We are building a 36x36 foot house for a family of four. It will have a living room, a bathroom, a kitchen and 2 small bedrooms. One of the bedrooms may fit a bed, but not much else. These people have just the bare essentials and they are so grateful for our help. I wish I could explain it. I will post some pictures when I get home, but I just want to say that if any of you love to travel and wouldn´t mind manual labor, this is probably one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have.

PS. I´m still in Honduras using a computer at an Internet cafe that has a Spanish keyboard (and yes, they are different than an English keyboard) so if you notice any spelling mistakes... ignore them. The spell check won´t work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet, wow! I'm glad you found a chance to blog from Honduras. It sounds like you're doing great things. I can't wait to see pics.

Grandma Turtle said...

.......and I thought you were on 'vacation'.......

Annie said...

What a fun and memorable adventure! I have always wanted to do something like that, and people have told me I am crazy to want to do a "vacation" that way. But what a fun way to see other places, the way people really live there, and leave a little of you behind as well.