Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Parent's Mission Call

For several years my parents have been talking about serving a mission after my dad retired. Well, he retired last June. So a few months ago they began the process and turned their papers in just 3 weeks ago. Now, my dad served a mission in Mexico City when he was 19. My mom on the other hand got married when she was 19. But over the last 15 years she has sent 4 children on full-time missions. Having been one of those children to have been sent, it has been quite an interesting experience to be on the other side of it... the children getting their parents ready to serve a mission. 3 weeks ago we began the long and dreaded wait. Being potential senior missionaries did not exempt my parents from the anxiety of waiting and checking the mail box daily for that long awaited white envelope. But yesterday the wait finally came to an end and all of my parents posterity who live in the San Francisco Bay Area gathered at my brother, Brian's, house and called and set up the web cam with the rest that live out of state. And then they read that familiar phrase... "You have been called to serve in the Asuncion Paraguay Temple Mission for 18 months." My parents are going to Paraguay!!! How exciting and crazy is that!?!? So now we begin the process of helping them put their things in order, setting up a schedule for taking care of the house, and any last minute things to help them get ready. Then on July 21st they enter the MTC in Provo, UT and we children can sit back with a sigh of relief and say, "Well, we must have done something right!"

3 comments:

Kents said...

Great post! How awesome.

mike and chenoa said...

Congrats to your parents!

Nataluscious said...

congrats to your parents Janet! That is so awesome ;).