Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'M A CRIMINAL?!?!?!?!

Ladies and gentlemen... it has finally happened. For the first time in my entire life (or at least since I was 16 and driving) I have been pulled over for a traffic violation. That's 20 years people! I have to say I think that's pretty good. Granted, it would have been better had I not been pulled over, but once in 20 years isn't bad. Here's how it went down.


Police Officer (PO): Good morning, Ma'am. (Ma'am?!? She called me Ma'am!!!) Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: Mmmm... no, actually I don't.

PO: Well, do you know how fast you were going?

Me: (Looking at my speedometer and having no clue.) Ummm... no, I really have no idea.

PO: Well, I clocked you at 38 in a 25.

Me: Oh.

PO: Can I see your license and registration?

Me: Sure. (Searching for the requested documentation.) You know, this is the first time I've ever been pulled over.

PO: Really?!? (Shock and aah in her voice. Then looking at my drivers license.) Well, you're definitely not 21 anymore.

Me: (What's that supposed to mean?!?! She called me Ma'am so she obviously didn't think I was 21 anymore. Maybe she was impressed that I had never been pulled over before, especially since I wasn't 21 anymore. Who knows.)

Anyway, won't bore you with any more dialogue. I have to admit I was hoping that since this was my first "offense" that she wouldn't give me a ticket. But no. As was pointed out to me by a friend, it is toward the end of the month and she has to fill her quota. She was nice and I was polite. I was speeding so I will face the consequences. As I was sitting there in my car waiting for her to come back, that thought from Marjorie Hinckley kept going through my mind. She always said that we have to be able to laugh at life, especially when the bad stuff happens or we won't be able to get through the tough times. Granted, this situation isn't that bad, but that's what I was thinking as I was waiting for my paperwork. I just sat in my car and laughed. I actually drove away feeling amused and actually happy, not upset. I had just had a first. I had never had that experience before and now I have and I just kept laughing. And my ticket? It's tacked up on my bulletin board. I'm strangely proud of it. How weird is that!?!?

No comments: