Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Stars are Bright

I'm on the next leg of my trip. "Next leg?" you may be wondering. Yes, when I started out on this little road trip, I didn't have a set plan. The only thing I really knew for sure was that I was going to spend about a week with my sister in Weiser, Idaho. I had thought I might make a trip east to the Idaho Falls area to visit more family and friends. Well, plans solidified and I made the road trip to Swan Valley, a small little town about 45 minutes north east of Idaho Falls, to visit my friend, Chenoa and her family. It was about 9:00pm when I rolled into town, so I haven't seen much of it, but from what I understand, there isn't much to see. I'll get to see it in daylight tomorrow. But the drive in was great. Outside Idaho Falls the terrain changes. There are hills and mountains, valleys, rivers and creeks. It's actually quite beautiful. I am pleasantly surprised and now I can't wait to see it in the daylight.

But the most impressive thing so far is the night sky. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I don't get a complete view of the heavens. There are just too many city lights. But out here where the only lights are from the few scattered homes, it's pitch black and the stars are beautiful. I forget how many there really are and how bright they are. I love living near a large city like San Francisco, but there sure are some impressive advantages to living in the country.

3 comments:

Nataluscious said...

Wanna swing by Denver on your fab-fun road trip?

mike and chenoa said...

And we're glad to have you here to share our night skies with!

Janet Lee said...

Hey Nat, I thought about it, but after being gone for 2 1/2 weeks I really wanted to get home. I noticed that you and your family went to Mt. Rushmore. I was thinking about going there, too, on my trip, but alas... I think 2 1/2 weeks is my limit for traveling. I do want to come out to visit. We'll have to make some definate plans soon. What do you think?