Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Proposition 8

For those of you who read my blog who do not live in California, you may not have heard about Proposition 8. Proposition 8, if passed, will protect marriage as defined between a man and a woman. A number of years ago, we had a similar proposition up for vote in California voted down, which protected marriage between a man and a woman. Then a few years ago, many may remember that the esteemed (sarcasm!!!) mayor of San Francisco decided to legalized same sex marriage. It was quickly overruled by the California State Government. But for some reason, a few months ago, by a slim majority decision makers in our state government legalized gay marriage. Why? I have no idea. It was put to the vote several years ago and the majority of California citizens voted to keep marriage between a man and a woman. So now we are faced with Proposition 8.

Personally, while I do not support same sex marriage or relationships for that matter, I am of the belief that every human being was given the gift of free agency by God. If that is how someone feels they were created and chooses to live their life, then so be it. I don't look down on them for it. I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to shun them. Some of the funniest, kindest people I know are gay men, friends I've met and worked with over the years. So I agree to disagree. But when it comes to same sex marriage, a part of me wonders, why not? If you look at it from a strictly political point of view, under the Constitution every citizen of this country should be allowed the same rights. My problem with legalizing same sex marriage is with everything else that comes with it. Non-profit organizations and churches will be forced by law to recognize homosexuality. For example, in Massachusets a Catholic organization that provided adoptions chose to close its doors rather than provide same sex couples with adopted children. Prior to gay marriage being legalized in that state, a church would be perfectly within their legal rights to deny adoption to a gay couple due to religious beliefs. Not any more.

Just last week, a first grade class took a field trip to San Francisco's City Hall to witness their teacher's marriage to her lesbian partner. 1ST GRADERS!!! The school thought it was a great teaching opportunity. If Proposition doesn't pass, then homosexuality will be taught in our public schools as the norm right along with hetersexuality.

If there is such a fight for gay marriage rights, then why not legalize polygamy? Where does it stop? I'm all for equal rights. But when equal rights for one group takes away the rights of others, I'm not OK with that. The rights of the religious and others who choose not to believe in homosexuality is being stolen. How can they force those of us who have religious views against homosexuality to accept it and believe in it? This country was founded by people who commited treason in order to establish a place where people could be free to believe and practice what they wanted to. And now those basic rights that were established at the birth of this country are being destroyed. It's a scary time here for those who support Proposition 8. If they want to get married and have it legalized, fine. But don't take away my rights to believe, and practice and live my religion. FREEDOM OF SPEECH! FREEDOM OF RELIGION!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am somewhat divided on this issue for many of the same reasons you listed, but I guess I don't like the example of the Catholic adoption agency. Here's why. When we were starting the adoption process, I would look at many of the websites of orphanages in Haiti. Many of them said they only adopted to "evangelical Christian" families. To me that was repulsive. How could they say that a child was better off living in abject poverty than in a loving home of, for example, a Jewish family (or mormon)? To me gay adoption is similar. Let's face it. There are millions more orphans than there are people adopting. Quite honestly, I don't see most "religious" people adopting. Instead they cite "God's will" that they should conceive many children. So if so few "religious" people aren't going to adopt, why not let homosexuals? I believe the children are better off in a loving home than in an institution where they get very little one-on-one time. The effects of institutionalization on children's development is well-documented. Children need touch, interaction, etc.

Ok, that was off topic, but I feel better about venting.

Janet Lee said...

Hey! Go ahead and vent. You know I don't mind. I agree with you about so many children in this world needing homes. And to be honest I'm sure there are same sex couples that will be better parents than many heterosexual couples. Just because a man and a woman are married won't make them good parents. And yes, there are too many bad/horrible situations in this world that happened all in the name of "religion". But this is how I look at it. Just because something happened in the name of religion doesn't mean that it was sanctioned by Heavenly Father. So just because some people believe they should keep reproducing because they believe it's God's will doesn't mean it is and doesn't mean they should. And just because someone is relgious doesn't mean they have to adopt. I believe that people should have/adopt children if they feel they are emotionally, financially, spiritually, physically able. It's a personal choice. A choice that I feel should be made after much prayer and careful thought. But back to the issue regarding Prop 8. Yes, some same sex couples may be good parents and there are enough children in this world needing good homes that they should be able to adopt if they choose. But my issue is with the laws forcing private agencies into providing adoptions they feel are morally wrong. If a same sex couple wants to adopt then they should find an agency that doesn't have issues with their lifestyle choice. We are free in this country to have our own beliefs. Why should we be forced to believe otherwise just because someone else believes different than we do?